Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Daisy Doodle

Just look at this face! Isn't it the cutest little thing ever?


Daisy Jean (who I call Daisy Doodle more often than not) is getting SO big! We went to the vet two weeks ago for shots, and she weighed 16 pounds - up from the 10.14 she weighed three weeks prior to that! I'm sure she will weigh at least 20 pounds next week when we go back!

(Note the stick in her mouth above and the grass in her mouth below - you'll see a trend of something almost always being in her mouth!)


I cannot even begin to explain the absolute joy this little puppy has been. She has kept me and Bo entertained, that's for sure! She's into everything. Likes to know what's going on at all times and what everything is. She has no fear whatsoever (well, I take that back..she won't jump off the bed or go down the back porch steps yet, but those are things I'm glad about). She LOVES people - every time we go for a walk in the neighborhood she runs up to anyone who is outside. And she has mastered one of Bo's favorite tricks - to flop over on her back when someone is petting her so she can get a belly rub. The other day she barked at my neighbor when he stopped rubbing her belly! It was hysterical.



She LOVES being outside. Loves running up to dandelions and biting off the tops of them. She still walks without a leash and stays right with me and Bo. As a matter of fact when we are walking she's almost always touching Bo in some way. The two of them still get along GREAT. They love each other so much. They share food and beds, and they romp and play and chase each other through the house all day - well, between naps. :-)



I still contend that Daisy is the smartest little pup there's ever been. She's still doing extremely well at being housebroken. I don't even leave her in her kennel any more when I'm gone. I leave her out in the kitchen and den (where my floors are tiled) and about 95 percent of the time I come home to a clean floor. The only accidents she's had have been when I've been gone longer than four or five hours at a time, which hasn't been very often. Today I was out for about 4.5 hours and the minute I got home, she ran outside and used the potty - and there were no accidents in the house.

She also is learning how to "sit" on command. She will sit every time when I have a pupperoni in my hand (those are her favorites). I haven't tried it yet without the treat, but we'll get there soon.

(And another stick!)


She's also still a VERY good eater. And even though I think she eats quite a bit, I don't think she's fat at all. She's like Jake, my basset hound who died five years ago at the age of 13 - she's stout and muscular. She's simply going to be a big girl!

(Even though it looks like she's inside the fence in the photo below, she's outside looking in. She's so good at staying closeby that when she goes out she goes in the front yard that's not fenced. And she stays right in the yard!)


On a side note that probably only the sweet folks I got her from will understand - see the white around Daisy's collar? When I got her, the two sides of these markings were pretty far apart. Mrs. Hill, who I got Daisy from, made notes of each puppy's markings when they were born. She said Daisy had white around both sides of her collar that didn't meet. The bigger she has gotten, the closer these white markings have become. It's like she's growing into all the skin she has! I keep wondering if those two spots are eventually going to meet!

Her markings are absolutely beautiful (of course I'm biased). The older she gets, the more spots that come out on her. Under her neck and her chest have gotten pretty spotty, with both black and brown spots. She's mostly black, as you can tell, but she has perfectly symmetric brown spots on her. Wherever there's a brown spot, you'll find a matching brown spot on the opposite side. Her head is getting a bit lighter. I know Mrs. Hill had some puppies in the past who had brown heads, and my mom thinks Daisy may be one of those.

Her sweet little face is what gets me every time. Just look at those eyes! I've said for years and I'll continue to say it - in my book, there's nothing cuter than a basset hound!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She is cute! :)

Cate, by the way, weighs 20 pounds 7 ounces. So Daisy may very well have her beat!