Lately I've been doing more cooking at home, which is a new thing for me - and something Daisy absolutely loves. She's just big enough to jump up to the edge of my stove and my counters to see what's going on. On a couple of occasions, I've caught her eating stuff off the counter!
Here's what she looks like in action (don't worry, the stove wasn't on...and she's already figured out that the stove and sometimes pans are hot.)
Daisy will eat just about anything except for stuff that's really sweet. She loves to eat. Apples are one of her favorite things. The green pot on the stove (in the photo above) contained chili that was cooked overnight in a slow cooker. Daisy woke me up at 2 a.m. that night with her nose up in the air sniffing...she wanted chili in the middle of the night! I made her wait till breakfast, though. :-) But even though she loves "people" food, she's very good about eating her dog food every day. I couldn't ask for a better eater!
On Oct. 10, I had Daisy spayed. It was a very tough decision for me, just because she's such a beautiful basset hound...I would have loved to have had a litter of puppies by her. The problem is that if I did, I'd have 10 basset hounds in the house instead of the two I have - I just wouldn't be able to part with any of them. So I did what was best for her - and for me - and had her spayed.
Let me stop here to note that on the day she was spayed, Daisy weighed in at a whopping 47.4 pounds. Amazing! She's definitely growing into a big girl. And she doesn't have a bit of fat on her. She's just a stout dog, just like her doggy daddy Sampson. :-)
Our vet uses radio wave technology to neuter pets (well, it's optional and costs a bit more, but is totally worth it.) Radio wave allows for less trauma to the pet - less blood and less healing time, etc. Daisy's recovery was amazing. She slept that Friday night, was a little groggy on Saturday but never acted like she felt bad, was just a bit sore on Sunday, then by Monday you couldn't tell she had been through surgery at all (except for the tiny incision on her stomach - which had internal stitches but was glued together externally). I really think the whole thing was worse on me than it was on her! But she came through with flying colors. Whew!
Now that the weather has gotten colder, Daisy has been sleeping closer to me in bed, instead of just sleeping at my feet like she used to. She's even figuring out that sleeping under the covers is warmer. The only thing we need to work on is her being a bed hog - she wants to lay across the bed, and that doesn't leave much room for me!
Daisy, Bo and I want to wish Daisy's siblings - Dudley, Bonzo and Angus (and any others who might have found this blog) a happy 8-month birthday! We hope that we can see you all in person one of these days, and in the meantime, we'd love to hear how you're doing!
No comments:
Post a Comment